Monday, July 23, 2012

M13: My Take
After starting college I picked up Magic The Gathering quite heavily. I never played in tournaments or anything professional, but I was king of the table top in my dorm. I like to keep up with the current sets, so I'll pick a pack here and there. Occasionally I see a card like Phyrexian Obliterator or a set like Innistrad, that sparks my interests so much that commit to multiple purchases. Mostly though,. I stick with my beloved Black Vampire deck. I've been a Black player since Middle School. It was easier for me to learn than Blue, but offered all the same basic board control that Blue did. It's been hard for me to switch since then. M13, the new Magic Core Set, might have broken me. A Core Set comes out every summer and consists of all the necessarily cards that Wizards(the creators) feels the current Metagame needs. So Core Sets usually consist of reprints of basic building block cards. Occasionally the Core Set will introduce players to a card ability, like Hexproof, that will be in the upcoming Block Sets. So I disappointed when I saw how scarce Black was in this new set.  Wizard's focus was obviously on the colors of Blue and White, to counteract the last block where Black was a predominant color.  I was, however, very pleased to see reprints of my two favorite cards, Vampire Nighthawk and Vampire Nocturnus. Nighthawk is, in my opinion, a mainstay in almost any functioning vampire deck. The card does so much for three mana, that it's almost crazy not to run four of them. Nocturnus is a card that demands a response from your opponent, as it pumps all your Vampires up. So the two haven't been legal in Standard play in awhile, so it'll be nice to see those two at FNMs, Pro Tours and Grand Prixs. My problem with Black cards that were in M13, was that there wasn't anything amazing. Sure they printed a card called Murder, which is cool, but it's no different than any other black removal card. Even the new Liliana, seemed a shadow of her former Innistrad glory.  Ultimately , if I want amazing black cards I'll be looking back at Innistrad/Dark Ascension. So, if I'm ditching black what color am I switching to? 

His color

Oh yes, you've read that right. Three mana. I never payed attention to Ajani, because he was always a lifegain card. Lifegain was a strategy that never interested me but it wasn't aggresive. This Ajani seems so aggressive. He's two buff spells for three mana. So every turn my Steppe Lynx or whatever card is out, is getting another +1/+1 buff. My army's strength just grows while Ajani is on the table, forcing my opponent to deal with Ajani and not my army or my life points. So he either buys me time by sacrificing himself or baiting a Cancel, or, he sits on the table and buffs my army. Not to mention I can give any of my buffed creatures doublestrike and flying whenever I want. Oh, we haven't get got to his ultimate yet. So my Soul Wardens, that he's buffing all game, will love as I pop his ultimate and get 40 2/2 Cat Tokens. Then I laugh as I win with my Cat Army. I am in love with this card. These are the kinds of cards that excite me to play Magic and create new decks. Congratulations Wizards, for creating another masterpiece and keeping me on for another year. 

No comments:

Post a Comment